So I was being my stalker self and had to go read my friend Kati B's blog since she updated for the first time in months. She posted some info about Prop 8 in California - which is set to reaffirm California voters' vote on Prop 22 in 2000 by amending the state consitution - to define marriage as only between a man and a woman. Why do they have to reiterate what passed with 61% of the vote? Because 4 judges in San Francisco have overturned the people's voice to recognize same-sex marriage and declared sexual orientation to be a protected class giving them civil rights. Rights are important, but with this distinction, anyone who speaks against homosexuality - even in church - could be prosecuted for hate speech.
I hope that I am not coming across the wrong way, and I really believe that the Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility towards men and women with same-gender attraction. Protecting marriage between a man and a woman does not affect my Christian obligation of love, kindness and humanity toward all people, but I do know that there is a prophet of God on the Earth today - Thomas S. Monson - and he, along with his counselors, have counseled the members in California to get involved in this issue to help preserve the sacred institution of marriage. If the prophet is giving specific counsel, I want to follow that. Yes, I don't live in California, but I know that when legislation begins in one place, it often follows elsewhere. I figure if anything, I can help get the word out and help support the cause of righteousness. If anything, this is my effort to let people know where I stand and it is unequivocally on the side of marriage between a man and a woman and continuing to support the family as the basic unit of society - both here on Earth and in eternity.
For more information see:
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - the Church's official website
- Preserving Tradition Marriage and Strengthening Families - a letter from First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Church leaders in California to be read to all congregations on 29 June 2008
- Kati's blog - what inspired this post
- The Family Proclamation - a proclamation given by Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley, then the prophet, in September 1995 that defines the Church's belief and expectations concerning the Family
- The Divine Institution of Marriage - an article from the Church about its involvement with Prop 8
- Same-Gender Attraction/Marriage - excerpts from an interview with Elder Dallin H. Oaks, a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, and Elder Lance B. Wickman, a member of the Seventy.
- Same-Sex Attraction - perhaps the most succint and best information on the subject from an Apostle, Elder Oaks
- Protect Marriage - a coalition to help support the passing of Prop 8
- Poway - one of the stake websites showing the Church's support for this
- When Gay Rights and Religious Liberties Clash - NPR article showing how religious groups are being challenged about their provision of services to individuals with same-gender attraction and losing