Monday, December 1, 2008

New Orleans trip (Part 1)

Oh girl....let me tell you what....

That trip was crazy! Lots of driving and lots of food!

We drove down Wednesday a little later than planned since we had to drop Mom's van at the dealership. While there, I visited with a girl from the Branch I hadn't seen at church in a while. It was fun. I miss her. The trip commenced at 1:30pm and we were off. The first stop - Natchitoches French Market Express for a potty and some meat pies and crawfish pies. Yum!

Then we hit a gas station in Breaux Bridge and I got a Hubig's Chocolate pie and a Barq's Red Creme Soda. Rejoice! These are such easy things, so I can't understand why Dallas is missing out! We got to Aunt Rite's around 9pm and started working. We got stuff together for Thanksgiving and started planning some reception items.




Yesterday was insane! We got in the car around 9:30 to head out. We stopped for food and realized that we left purses and wallets at Aunt Rite's so back I went. Then, we had to fill the Grape Jelly New Orleans-style Buffet. What is that you ask? Well, it's my car filled with all sorts of deliciousness from our favorite New Orleans places - we had shrimp po-boys, Bud's Broiler, Hubig's pies, Cafe du Monde, crawfish balls, and of course some Barq's Red Creme Soda! Holler! I love me some food. It was a good thing the buffet was well stocked because we didn't get home until 11pm. Yes, you're scratching your head going 9:30 - 11 that's over 13 hours...what happened?

TxDoT! That's what happened! They have a personal vendetta against me since the whole TxTag business (which still is NOT fixed by the way). Outside of Tyler, the traffic slowed to a halt and then down to one lane for construction. Really folks - one lane on perhaps one of the busiest travel days of the year? HELLO??!?! They weren't even constructing or anything. The lane was completely drivable - they just were storing some orange barrels (a theory once proposed by one Natalie Summers entitled "Orange Barrel Storage" has really come to be fact in my life). So we spent over an hour going less than 10mph and went a total of 7.8 miles in 1 hour. Fun! I was extremely bummed because it was Gavin's birthday and we had a party all planned with a "Sons of Provo" viewing that was cancelled. TxDoT - you shall know my wrath!

More to come....a Thanksgiving Feast, Shrimp Po-boys, Taco Tico and of course the whole reason we went - Megan and Justin's wedding!!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Dang! All that food looks AMAZING!

Cindy Ardis said...

Oh my gosh you really captured the spirit of new orleans through food. You showed all my fave's. Did you know Uncle Faren worked at Bud's Broiler when he was a teenager. I'll have to try taco tico sometime. Thanks for the memories and good food choices.

Cindy Ardis said...

We got stuck in the same traffic!!! It was a nightmare. Over an hour in traffic for a half a mile of construction. A 8-9 hour trip turned into a 12 hour trip. That's just not right. Sorry you missed Gavin's birthday, that's too bad.